Friday, January 7, 2011

WTNH WEATHERMAN GEOFF FOX CONTRACT NOT RENEWED - WILL LEAVE WTNH AT THE END OF FEB.

First a good Friend to Robotech has died and now this. From Geoff Fox personal website. 


o, how was your day at work? Probably better than mine. After 26 years at 8 Elm Street I’m not being invited back at the end of my current contract. I got the word at 4:00 PM Wednesday. I’m done at the end of February.
Good God the media works fast. It wasn’t more than an hour later that Joe Amarante of the New Haven Register called tracking down the rumor!
I plan on working through to the end of my contract and the general manager has assured me I’ll be allowed to do so. That’s unusual in TV and so I’m grateful.
I will not talk about this on-the-air. That was left unsaid at today’s meeting, but it’s my interpretation of what’s right. It will be business as usual.
I spoke with Brittany Lyte at the Connecticut Post this evening. Here’s a little of her story.
“I’ve had a really, really good run here,” he said. “The people of Connecticut have been unbelievably nice to me and unbelievably gracious. I will be forever grateful to them — really. My paycheck may be paid by the television station, but I work for the viewers.”
“I’ve been in some people’s lives, in their homes, every day for their whole lives,” Fox said. “How many people get the privilege to do that?”
Now begins another chapter. Geez… that sounds so trite!
I’m not sure what I’ll do. I’d like to stay on-air in Connecticut, but all the good jobs are occupied by my friends.
I have prepared an audition website for a day like this and have sent that link to a few stations already. Ditching winter permanently is appealing!
I could see getting back into radio. Anybody need an angry liberal voice? I’ve hosted shows like Inside Space on SciFi and PM Magazine/Buffalo. I could host again. It’s possible I’ll even do commercials and corporate vdeos which my current position has kept me from doing.
I’m open to anything. I just don’t know. I’m still mostly in shock. I’m open to suggestions or recommendations.
The response on Facebook has been crazy. Hundreds of people have commented and expressed their support. Thank you all. It means a great deal to me and my family.

A class act will soon be off the air in CT. Early on in my blogging life (back in 2004) Geoff gave me some nice words of encouragement and was very cool. I'm just shocked 

No comments:

Post a Comment